Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Too Busy

Sorry everyone for not updating in a timely manner. I've been running around all the burbs here trying to find a place to live. It's been crazy the past few days. I looked at 4 places yesterday and 3 the day before. And of course they are not too close to each other.

The problem here is that the river goes right through the city so you either have to live on one side or the other. So trying to find the right place with enough around and close to the University has been tough. But it's been cool getting used to the buses and trains and boats as a means of travel instead of a car.

Yesterday I think I've found the right one. It's in kind of like the hippie part of town and it's about a 5 minute walk down to the river, and it's nice and quiet. I would also be living with 3 girls which would be very nice as well. I should find out later today if I got the place or not. There will be pictures once I get it. Of the house not the girls, Bradley. Well they might be in there as well. We'll see.

When I get into a place I'll do an update with a bunch of pictures because It's too hard to try and do it from the computers here at school. Still no kolas, kangaroos, snakes, bull sharks or crocs, yet. Just a few gecko's, spiders and a ton of birds.

As far as Brad's question about the beer, Fosters isn't that common here. I guess it must just be that bad that no one drinks it. I finally went over to the bar a few nights ago to sample the good stuff. Kristy would like it because they have Stongbow on tap which is good, they Carlton Draught is a very good light beer, very smooth. And Victoria Bitters or VB is very good as well. It has a little more flavor and ca hones than the others. But all very good. Better than any of the 3.2% stuff I had in SLC.

Debbie asked where I was staying. It's a big place called Cloud 9 Backpackers. They have about 3 rooms of bunks with about 20 people in each room, then about 5 rooms of 4 people then a few single rooms. If you've never been to a backpackers place it's kind of hard to tell you what it's like. Basically everyone is coming and going whenever they want at all hours of the day. They are usually pretty dirty, but they are cheap. If I remember I'll snap some pictures but they won't be too exciting. It's nothing great.

And I have to put this in because I know Bradley will be laughing his ass off, as well as many others.

About 4:30 am last Friday morning I wake up to the sound of water. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, but it's a distinct sound. I look over the bunk, I was on the top one, and the drunk guy below me is urinating right in the middle of the floor. Mind you the toilet is about 5 feet away. But no he was too lazy or drunk, or both and decided to relieve himself on the floor. Being half asleep I dozed off almost hoping it was a dream. I went to the front desk when I woke up, avoiding the pee, and told them what had happened. He was already gone by the time I got up and they decided to kick him out that day. He was gone by the time I got back from the Uni. Luckily my bags were just splashed and nothing you couldn't clean up with some soap and water. Oh the fun of backpacker hotel's in foreign countries. But the guy that's there now is a really cool guy from Iran and hasn't peed on the floor yet.

I'm going to make another post then head out to get something to eat. Talk to everyone later.

B.

1 comment:

Brad Calabrese said...

Nice recap. Remember, Iranians can do a lot worse than pee on your backpack.

Looking forward to some pictures!