Thursday, February 1, 2007

Finally

After the 1 1/2 hour flight to LAX, a 3 hour layover, 12 hour flight to Auckland, 3 hour layover, then a 3 1/2 hour flight to Brisbane, I have finished the trek. I've finally arrived in nice warm, tropical, humid Queensland.


Coming from a dry, high altitude place you don't know how nice it is to be able to breathe. With an altitude of only 100 feet it's a little weird to have all the air pushing down on you. Very strange. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. If you've never lived in a dry place you should because you'll probably not want to leave. To all those that say there is no such thing as dry heat, poo on you. It was 29C or 85F today with 70% humidity and it was much worse than any 29C day I've had in Salt Lake City (SLC). Nice but hot. Like Florida. Hi, Grandma & Papa.


I ended up sleeping for 16 hours yesterday, not on purpose, after I got in. So hopefully I'll get onto a somewhat normal schedule by the weekend. No, I haven't seen any kangaroo's or poisonous snakes yet. I'll let you know when I do and there will probably be pictures attached as well. I'll be looking for places to live and getting used to the campus for the rest of this week and probably next as well. Hopefully I can find a place soon and get settled in before school starts in a few weeks.


I'll post my school schedule for all those who are thinking about coming down for a visit. Feel free to e-mail me any time as there are many computers here I can check my e-mail anytime. For those who have IM there is a seven hour and a day time difference. If you subtract -7 hours (MST) or -9 hours (EST) and add a day that is what time it is here. Right now it is 11:30 pm Wednesday night in SLC or 1:30 am Thursday morning in CLE.


I will be stealing an idea from my good friend Marg, I hope you don't mind Marg, and have a question of the month for everyone to answer. It will probably be in my next post and I hope everyone will participate.


Feel free to ask any question you like about Australia or anything else in the comment section. I will try to answer them if I can. I'm sure you not the only one with it so ask away. Off to get something to eat.

Later,
B.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

baconhead,

yes, you made it! been thinking about you. Glad you like the hot humid weather. Kiss a koala for me

love,
beth

Brad Calabrese said...

Good to hear you finally made it. Make sure you post pics of all the poisonous snakes you stumble upon out there. It just snowed 8" in Cleveland, don't cry about the humidity.

My question:
Do they really consider Foster's beer out there a bad beer - similar to our Busch Light?

Margarette said...

Huzzah!!! so glad to hear it. I knew you should be there sooner than later. Cheers !

Buttdogs said...

hi- let us know when you see some cool animals. It is FREEZING here in Cleve. so don't complain about the weather. We are go glad that you made it safe and sound although it seemed to be a very long trip. GREAT blog page. We will definitely check it often. Erin

Debbie Moulden said...

Hey Brandon! Glad you are there safe and sound. Good luck with the apartment hunting. Where are you staying currently? Looking forward to seeing pictures!
~Debbie