Friday, March 21, 2008

Crazy Last Two Weeks

Lots has gone on in the past two weeks. I had my B-day on the 8th...the big 30...it's just a number but as I found out last week I'm really old in body years. Our new roommates moved in and some bad news.

On my b-day we headed to the beach in the afternoon and went down south by Surfers Paradise and enjoyed the sun along with some wind for a few hours. I finally spent my birthday day on the beach and it only took me 30 years to do it. Anyways, after we came back a bunch of us went to the only Mexican restaurant around town and enjoyed the most expensive Mexican food I've ever had. Then to a bar down the street for a few drinks then off to the dance club. It was nice and chill. I decided to get myself a little present for my b-day as I do every year but then it ends up I probably won't end up needing the soccer boots I ordered so I'll have to get me something else.

But I found out later in the week that I'm really old. Last Thursday I went to soccer training and got about a half a lap around for the warm-up and my hip got really tight. I tried stretching and moving around to see if it would loosen up but nothing. Friday it was ok then on Saturday I woke up and it was really bad. I couldn't touch my toes or twist at all. It got a little better as the day went on so I decided to go to one of friends for a house party. It was a good time with some really good costumes. The pictures will come later as I'll have to get them from other people as I didn't bring my camera. But most of the time I spent hanging from the rafters to try and take the pressure off my hip.

I woke up Sunday and I was really, really bad...every way I moved it hurt. I spent most of the day on the couch stationary as that was the way it didn't hurt. I'd get up occasionally as it helped a little to move as well. Then Sunday evening my toes started going numb. Not good. I slept standing up/leaning over my desk and got about 3 hours of sleep but not all at the same time.

Then the doctor visits started. Monday I walked extremely slowly to the Uni clinic. I could get about 20-30m then had to bend over or lean on something to stop the pain. It took me 25 minutes for a walk that usually takes 8 minutes. The pain would start in my butt then go down the back of my leg to my calf and all without feeling half my foot or my last three toes. Lots of fun. I finally made it and the doctor think it's my hip. I then walked another 20 minutes back to the CityCat then to the X-ray place...another 45 minutes to go 1/2km...45 minutes back...then 25 minutes back home. They gave me some meds but they didn't work. The one had codeine which doesn't work on me and the other one was advil which wasn't strong enough.

Tuesday morning I went back to the Uni doc...at least Helix gave me a ride to CityCat but I still had to walk to the clinic from the river. Now they tell me it's my back and not my hip. Now I have to walk all the way across campus to sort out my insurance stuff as they didn't have me in the system and I found out the school messed up and put my insurance money towards my tuition instead. At least now I won't have to pay out of pocket anymore. I then walked back across campus again to the CityCat then to the other radiologist for my CT scan.

Then I found out the bad news. My body's about 50 years old. I have a bulging/slipped/herniated disk in my back. Not good. Very, very bad. It is pushing on my sciatic nerve which is the cause of the numbness in my foot and calf. It goes into my spinal canal 17mm or about 3/8ths of an inch. Yeah it's pretty bad.

Wednesday I went back to the Uni doc and supposedly was given a referral to the local hospital here for a consult with a neurologist and would have surgery done on Thursday sometime. But I showed up to the neurology dept. at the hospital and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Here the doc at the uni never called or anything besides giving me a little note to the doctor. I find out later that if she would have called they could have fit me in yesterday.

Instead I spent the day in the emergency room...from 9am 'till 6pm. I saw the nurse in the first hour or two...then the physio around 1:30...then finally the real doctor around 3. She gave me some good meds and the pain finally subsided. It was nice to not bend over or sit with my leg in a strange position and to be able to walk around without pain.

She told me I'll most likely have to have the surgery to move the disk off my nerve or you can get permanent paralysis if the disk moves farther. So yeah it's quite serious. The surgery they will most likely do is to snip out a little section of the vertebra to relieve the pressure off the nerve. But I'll be asking a bunch of questions on Tuesday or Wednesday (hopefully) when I have the consult with the neurosurgeon. So I don't know if I'll be able to do any sports again or run or anything I like to do. Hopefully early next week I'll find out if and when I'll be having surgery and keep everyone informed. Now that I've got some good meds the pain is still there but not as bad so I'm good for a while at least. I'm sorry to get my family and friends all worried about me yesterday and I'll make for sure I'll be having the surgery before I tell anyone.

I hope everyone will be able to get together with their families and friends for the holiday this weekend and enjoy some good food. Eat some for me. I'll be thinking of everyone back home as no one will be here with the crippled old man to spend Easter. But it's all cool..I'll be able to watch the race and enjoy the sunshine. Ok now for some pictures.

A big moth that flew in my room

Our local brushtail possum

Diffraction lines in some schnapps

The hazards of soccer


They know how to do the beach down here


Cheers,
B

1 comment:

Buttdogs said...

Oh My GOSH!!!!! We will definitely keep you in our thoughts and prayers. What is happening to you guys. . .first Todd and now you. . . Can't wait until I turn 30 in July, i guess it is all down hill from there. I guess i have another couple of good months left. Take care and keep us posted. Love, Erin, Todd, Logan and Hudson