Sunday, July 6, 2008

Finally Done

Yes I'm still alive. I know I haven't updated this thing in about 3 months. Among studying for exams, writing my thesis, catching bugs and entertaining my parents it's taken me a while to find some time.

As of Tuesday I have officially graduated. Now I just have to figure out what to do next. I spent the last two weeks of the semester typing my hands off and reading like a fiend. But the good news is that my thesis has the possibility of getting published. Hopefully. We'll see as I have to do a little revision before it can be submitted. But my exams and everything is over with so it's a relief to have a little time off.

My parents arrived about 3 weeks ago here in Briz. They arrived the same day as my final exam. We chilled out here for a week or so then headed down to Melbourne to drive the Great Ocean Road. It's very similar to the Pacific Coast Highway out in Cali. but here there are more trees and plants instead of the desert. Amazing scenery and I highly reccomend it if you ever get down here. It's quiet chilly down there during the winter here so my parents got a taste of winter during the summer back home.

Also attended my first AFL game at the legendary MCG. We had an obnoxious lady sitting behind us that didn't shut up for the whole game. They have them down here as well. We ended up losing by a point but it was still very cool to see a game live instead of on TV. Much better live.

We went down to Phillip Island to see the penguins and seals but we choose the day with 80 kph/ 55 mph winds. The rain that accompanied the winds was going just as fast. We get down to the visitors centre and find out that the seals are 2 km or 1 mile off the coast and require a boat ride to see them. Considering the waves were approaching 4-5 m or 12-15 feet we were not intending to venture out on the ocean. Then we asked about the penguins. They only come in to shore at night...just lovely. It was about as dark as night but paying $25 each for a chance to see them just wasn't worth it. But on a good note, on the ride back we stopped at a farm and were able to see some cows getting milked. Just like home. But it was cool being with my parents so the trip was worth it.

Got back here and have been relaxing for the past week or so. I had another doctors appt. and she's recommending that I go through with the surgery as it will relieve some of the pain in my hip. It will not help the lower back pain or the numbness in my foot but at least I might be able to get up in the morning without feeling like I'm 80. But I have to find a job in the next few weeks as my healthcare through uni expires. I still have another 5 weeks until it would be done as I've been on the list for 2 months already. Gotta love the healthcare system.

We are off to the nice tropical north on Tuesday. We'll be in Carins (pronounced "cans") for three days then off to Port Douglas for 3 days as well. Looking forward to the sun as it's been cloudy and rainy for most of my parents trip. And the warm temps as well. It's been around the low 70's here (18-19 C) but cold at night 8-9 C (50-55 F).

Sorry for the lack of pictures but most of them are on my mom's camera so I'll have to get them for the next post. I'm still getting used to everything on my new MacBook Pro as I'm used to thinking the illogical and difficult PC way. It will take some time to get use to it but I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about switching over. It's worth it.

Ok I'm off to watch the F1 race here and then get some sleep. Pictures on next post along with all the summer b-day's as well.

Cheers,
B.

1 comment:

Buttdogs said...

AWESOME!!!! it is about time you had a new post. We were just talking about you and wondering if you were still alive:) CONGRATS on graduating. That is great. Logan was just talking about you tonight. One of his books has a picture of the continents and he asked where you were again. Sounds like you and your parents had a great time, good idea not to venture out in the 15 ft waves. Doesn't sound too safe to me. well good luck finding a job. talk to you later.
The Butler Family